The hotter months are coming up, which means the sun will shine bright and stay out longer. Although most people enjoy having fun in the sun during the summertime, the UV rays are damaging to the facial skin. So the brighter the day gets, the more we should be reminded of practicing proper skin care. There are daily habits everyone should adopt to maintain fresh, younger looking facial skin.
The Key to Daily Skin Care
Life gets busy for most people, and the one thing we forget about is the skin. You may have been neglecting your dermis, but it is never too late to get back into a healthy skin care routine. Here are some easy ways you can improve your skin health:
- Hydrate: Water is a good start to getting fresh, healthy skin. When the skin isn’t getting enough hydration, it can cause it to dry out, flake, and tighten up. When the skin dries up, it is less resilient and more prone to wrinkling. Try to drink at least eight glasses of water per day to keep your skin hydrated and to help rid your body and skin of toxins.
- Moisturize: Using a daily moisturizer will help to protect sensitive skin, improve the skin tone, and mask imperfections. Everyone has different skin types and textures, so finding the right moisturizer for your skin is crucial. You can discuss with your doctor or a dermatologist for the best tips on choosing the right moisturizer for your skin.
- Use sunscreen: The UVA and UVB rays are harmful to the skin. They not only damage the skin, but also the immune system. Even on cold days, it is important to wear sunscreen daily. It is recommended to use a broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.
- Sleep: Many people take sleep for granted. Our hectic lives can sometimes take away from getting adequate sleep. Although, while we are snoozing through the night, our skin cells can repair any damage. A person should be getting at least seven to eight hours of sleep a night.
- Eat healthily: An unhealthy diet leads to breakouts, inflammation, and loss of collagen. Everyone should follow a nutritious diet to prevent damage to the skin. It is highly recommended to refrain from excessive amounts of caffeine, alcohol, and high sugar foods.
When Daily Skin Care Is Not Enough
Often many people will find out a routine skin care regimen may not suffice. This reason is why some patients opt for cosmetic treatments. When at-home treatments aren’t enough, you could consider one of the following skin care treatments:
- Fraxel®: A laser treatment designed to improve the appearance of wrinkles, sun spots, acne scarring, large pores, uneven texture, actinic keratosis, and stretch marks. It is a relatively pain-free procedure that offers minimal downtime and side effects.
- CO₂ laser peel: This is a carbon dioxide laser treatment that works to remove the damaged skin by removing layers of the epidermis and restoring collagen growth. This treatment can diminish the appearance of fine wrinkles, spots, blotches, and other signs of aging skin.
- Injectables: Multiple injections are made under the facial skin to smooth fine wrinkles and improve collagen production. We offer the following injectable treatments:
- BOTOX® Cosmetic and XEOMIN®: Prevents muscle contraction that causes the appearance of fine lines, specifically crow’s feet and forehead wrinkles.
- BELOTERO BALANCE®, JUVÉDERM®, RADIESSE®, and Restylane®: Volume loss can be corrected to reduce the appearance of wrinkles around the nose and mouth.
If you want to improve the appearance of your facial skin, Dr. Wilson can help you decide the right skin care treatment for you. Schedule your consultation today! Contact us by calling (256) 551-2002 or by filling out our online contact form.